Introduction to Mobile Application Development using Android
This course represents a gentle journey through the mobile application development landscape, using Android as the platform. Along the way we will learn to use Android Studio, the integrated development environment (IDE) for Android apps. This course is intended for students who have some prior programming experience. The course will introduce you to the basics of the Android platform, Android application components, Activities and their life cycle, UI design, Multimedia, 2D graphics and networking support in Android.
This course covers the following topics:
- Android platform and the Android Studio IDE
- Android components, Activities and their life cycle, Intents
- UI Design: Widgets and Layouts, UI Events, Event Listeners
- 2D graphics: Canvas/Drawing using a view
- Multimedia: Audio playback and MediaPlayer
- Network support: AsyncTask, Http URL Connection
This course requires a background in main programming concepts. It is preferred to have good understanding of an object oriented programming language. Prior knowledge in Java will be very helpful.
What You Will Learn
You will learn how to:
- Describe the basic components of an Android application
- Define the lifecycle methods of Android application components
- Describe the basics of event handling in Android
- Describe the basics of graphics and multimedia support in Android
- Demonstrate basic skills of using an integrated development environment (Android Studio) and Android Software Development Kit (SDK) for implementing Android applications
- Demonstrate through a simple application the understanding of the basic concepts of Android
COURSE INSTRUCTOR AND STAFF
Dr. Almajali obtained his Bachelor and Master in Computer Science from the University of Jordan. He obtained his PhD. in Computer Science from Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, IL. Dr. Almajali has 17 years of academic and industrial experience. This includes teaching at several universities in the United States in the period of 1999-2011. Universities included Robert Morris University, Benedictine University, and DeVry University. In addition, he is teaching currently at Princess Sumaya university since 2011. Teaching experience included three main Areas: Software Development Courses, Computer Networking Courses, and Security courses. Dr. Almajail is currently an assistant professor at Princess Sumaya University. In addition, Dr. Almajali worked in multiple software development companies in the united states such as Secure Data Replicator, Lucidline, Cyber Vault Technologies. His software development experience included developing several mobile native applications in Android for a variety of solutions such as security solutions, productivity solutions, and government solutions.
Jogesh K. Muppala
Jogesh is an Associate Professor of Computer Science and Engineering at the School of Engineering, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology. He received his Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering from Duke University, USA in 1991.